- Short Stories from the Nineteenth Century is a wonderful collection of classic stories specially selected and introduced by David Stuart Davies. These are tales from the golden age of the great storytellers presenting evocative snapshots from that bygone era while at the same time providing engaging entertainment and stimulation for the modern reader.
- Saki (H.H. Munro) stands alongside Anton Chekhov and O Henry as a master of the short story. His extraordinary stories are a mixture of humorous satire, irony and the macabre, in which the stupidities and hypocrisy of conventional society are viciously pilloried. This collection includes Sredni Vastor and The Unrest Cure. 'We all know that Prime Ministers are wedded to the truth, but like other married...
- Humanity has often found itself on the precipice. We've survived and thrived because we've never stopped moving... 'Stops you dead in your tracks ... An absolute revelation' Sue Black, bestselling author of All That Remains In this eye-opening book, Johannes Krause, Chair of the Max Planck Institute for the History of Humanity, offers a new way of understanding our past, present and future. Marshalling...
Cena: 69,75 zł
- 'Magnificent... Her famous seriousness pervades throughout... What's striking is the astonishing scope, potential and possibility Sontag saw in short fiction' Financial Times The complete collected short stories of Susan Sontag, one of the most brilliant and influential writers of the twentieth century Susan Sontag is most often remembered as a brilliant essayist - inquisitive, analytical, fearlessly...
Cena: 43,91 zł
- Wessex Tales was the first collection of Hardy's short stories, and they reflect the experience of a novelist at the height of his powers. These seven tales, in which characters and scenes are imbued with a haunting realism, show considerable diversity of content, form and style, and range from fantasy to realism and from tragedy to comedy. In insisting on the unusual nature of any story worth the...
- An illustrated collection of fifteen tales from the brothers Grimm, retold for younger readers. Stories include “Hansel and Gretel”, “Sleeping Beauty”, “Rumpelstiltskin”, “Tom Thumb” and “The Frog Prince” as well as a short biography of the brothers themselves.
Cena: 58,59 zł
- In ‘The Death of a Civil Servant’, an administrative clerk accidentally sneezes on a hierarchical superior at the opera, which results in great embarrassment and hilarious and futile attempts at atonement. The other short stories included in this volume, ‘A Calculated Marriage’, ‘The Culprit’, ‘The Exclamation Mark’, ‘The Speech-Maker’, ‘Who Is to Blame?’ and ‘A Defenceless Creature’ are in the same...
Cena: 17,58 zł
- Notes from Underground and Other Stories is a comprehensive collection of Dostoevsky’s short fiction. Many of these stories, like his great novels, reveal his special sympathy for the solitary and dispossessed, explore the same complex psychological issues and subtly combine rich characterization and philosophical meditations on the (often) dark areas of the human psyche, all conveyed in an idiosyncratic...