- Readers are invited to a book by an outstanding English philosopher, psychologist, sociologist and economist John Stuart Mill, which explores the problem of civil liberty of the individual. According to the author himself, the subject of the work is „not the so-called free will”, namely civil, or social, freedom, that is, „the properties and limits of that power, by the power of which society fully...
Cena: 14,16 zł
- Ten years after its first publication, Michael Reid's best-selling survey of the state of contemporary Latin America has been wholly updated to reflect the new realities of the "Forgotten Continent". The former Americas editor for the Economist, Reid suggests that much of Central and South America, though less poor, less unequal, and better educated than before, faces harder economic times now that...
Cena: 59,23 zł
- Selected as a Book of the Year by The Times and The Economist China's history is an epic tapestry of courtly philosophies, warring factions and imperial intrigue. Yet, over five thousand years, one ancient element has so dramatically shaped the country's fate that it remains the key to unlocking China's story. That element is water. In The Water Kingdom Philip Ball takes us on a grand tour of China's...
Cena: 45,89 zł
- 'Superb ... At a time when government action of any kind is ideologically suspect, and entrepreneurship is unquestioningly lionized, the book's importance cannot be understated' Guardian According to conventional wisdom, innovation is best left to the dynamic entrepreneurs of the private sector, and government should get out of the way. But what if all this was wrong? What if, from Silicon Valley...
Cena: 37,90 zł
- The best single work of science fiction yet written' Ursula K. Le Guin The dystopian masterwork that inspired George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four, We depicts a futuristic totalitarian society, 'OneState', where humans have become numbers. Suppressed in Russia for decades, it is a chilling vision of a world enslaved by technology. 'Zamyatin's parable looked forward to climate change and surveillance...
Cena: 31,35 zł
- Winner of the Enlightened Economist Prize 2019 Winner of Debut Writer of the Year at the Edward Stanford Travel Writing Awards 2020 Longlisted for the Financial Times & McKinsey Business Book of the Year Award 2019 'Extreme Economies is a revelation - and a must-read.' Andy Haldane, Chief Economist at the Bank of England To understand how humans react and adapt to economic change we need to study...
Cena: 44,65 zł
- Książka jest historią nauki opartą na życiorysach jej największych twórców. Szalona i intelektualnie absorbująca podróż przez ostatnie pięć stuleci zachodniej nauki. „The Washington Post Book World” Wspaniała książka... burzy niezliczone mity i odkrywa prawdziwe źródła dobrze znanych anegdot (przykładowo Galileusz nigdy nie zrzucał ciężarów różnej wielkości z Krzywej Wieży w Pizie). „Economist”
Cena: 56,05 zł
- 'One of the greatest political memoirs of all time' (Guardian) -- The Sunday Times Number 1 Bestseller What happens when you take on the establishment? In this blistering, personal account, world-famous economist Yanis Varoufakis blows the lid on Europe's hidden agenda and exposes what actually goes on in its corridors of power. Varoufakis sparked one of the most spectacular and controversial battles...
Cena: 48,83 zł
- Deep new rifts are tearing apart the fabric of Britain and other Western societies: thriving cities versus the provinces, the highly skilled elite versus the less educated, wealthy versus developing countries. As these divides deepen, we have lost the sense of ethical obligation to others that was crucial to the rise of post-war social democracy. So far these rifts have been answered only by the revivalist...
Cena: 42,75 zł