- " A Country Doctor " is a short story written in 1917 by Franz Kafka. The plot follows a country doctor's hapless struggle to attend a sick young boy on a cold winter's night. A series of surreal events occur in the process, including the appearance of a mysterious groom (stablehand) in a pig shed.
Cena: 12,34 zł
- Piękna architektura powstaje nie tylko w miastach. Domy wiejskie to wymarzone miejsca do życia wielu ludzi na całym świecie. W MODERN COUNTRY INTERIORS zebrano najbardziej inspirujące projekty z ostatnich lat. Prywatne domy, bary, restauracje i hotele usytuowane wśród pól i lasów, w których stal nierdzewna spotyka się z drewnem i kamieniami tworząc niepowtarzalne nowoczesne wnętrza.
Cena: 75,91 zł
- „The Country Doctor” („Le Médecin de Campagne”), by Honoré de Balzac, belongs to the series known as „Scenes from Country Life”; a part of his great cycle of fiction, „The Comedy of Human Life”. It is one of Balzac’s noblest pieces of fiction, presenting beautiful traits of human nature with sympathy and power. The scene is laid in a village near Grenoble in France, and the story begins with the year...
- A sensitive portrayal of the healing process that took place in the aftermath of the First World War, J.L. Carr's A Month in the Country includes an introduction by Penelope Fitzgerald, author of Offshore, in Penguin Modern Classics. A damaged survivor of the First World War, Tom Birkin finds refuge in the quiet village church of Oxgodby where he is to spend the summer uncovering a huge medieval wall-painting....
Cena: 35,15 zł
- Alice has fought hard for a normal life. Having escaped the Hinterland - the strange, pitch-dark fairy tale world she was born into - she has washed up in New York City, determined to build a new future for herself. But when her fellow survivors start being brutally murdered, Alice must face the fact that the Hinterland cannot be so easily escaped, and that, from the shadows of her past, something...
Cena: 34,20 zł
- ‘It couldn’t happen here’ Ece Temelkuran heard reasonable people in Britain say it the night of the Brexit vote. She heard reasonable people in America say it the night Trump’s election was soundtracked by chants of ‘Build that wall.’ She heard reasonable people in Turkey say it as Erdoğan rigged elections, rebuilt the economy around cronyism, and labelled his opposition as terrorists. How to Lose...
Cena: 41,80 zł
- Edith Wharton’s 1913 novel is a devastating critique of American upward mobility, told through the journey of Undine Spragg from fictional Midwestern Apex City to New York to Paris. Undine Spragg is one of the most ruthless characters in all of literature, as selfishly unscrupulous as she is fiercely beautiful. As Undine climbs the social ladder through a series of marriages and affairs, she shows...
- This is a solid, basic cowboy story from B. M. Bower, an early work of hers on the standard ranching setting she writes many more times. This is one of her stories. This follows the life of a boy from very early youth until he finds his own way and establishes his name. Through hazards, difficulties and dangers, Bob sets out to discover life for himself. With awfully wild terrain and red-Indians around...
- When your country is small and poor, people have two choices. Some decide to stay and raise it from poverty, while others go to seafaring. So most New Zealanders did. So said one of the inhabitants of this country: „Our country is a kind of difficult country, and most of our people go to sea from time to time when they cannot achieve more.” In the same way, our main characters went to seafaring, where...